Wednesday, May 20

Following the law. kind of

For the life of me, I can't figure out what purpose there would be for short segments of sidewalk, with a yellow pad right in the middle, only on the corners of each intersection. This whole suburban development in Crozet is spotted with these things. Do they make pedestrians safer? Do they add some aesthetic value to the street? Doubt it. My guess is that the literal interpretation of the zoning code only requires the developers to put sidewalks on the corners. So that's what they did.

4 comments:

Zed said...

Wouldn't be much good if you were in a wheelchair, would it? You get safely across the street and then get bogged down in the freshly-watered, super-fertilized, knee-high grass!

Jim Duncan said...

The first time I saw these, I turned around to see if I'd really seen what I thought I saw.

I still can't figure them out.

epar said...

Reminds me of something I noticed on the Johns Hopkins campus: To get from the lower quad to the upper quad you take two sets of steps. A wheelchair ramp gets you up one but ends when the second starts. Has to be a letter-of-the-law compliance with ADA.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.