Saturday, December 20

Car Talk Infrastructure plan

I've mentioned before that I'm an NPR junkie, and nothing is more classic NPR than Car Talk. I have been entertained by the banter between Tom and Ray for as long as I can remember, and I don't think I could even find the carburetor under the hood of our Corolla.


This morning, while sitting down to a cup a coffee, I was surprised to hear Ray answer his brother in all earnestness, "no, no, I'm serious about this." He had something he needed to get off his chest. 

He suggested a 50 cent gas tax increase, in order to encourage Americans to drive less and produce more fuel-efficient vehicles. The time is right while gas is so cheap, he said. The "cherry on top" of this suggestion was to use the billions in funds generated to build high-speed rail infrastructure between cities. The government could help GM, Ford, and Chrysler create train manufacturing divisions that would employ American workers for the task.
"The idea's time has come and I call on all non-wussie politicians, even the wussie ones, to get in line and stand with me. I'm calling on the president-elect too, because our country needs this! Whew, I have spoken."
Listen to the segment here.

1 comment:

BeyondGreen said...

It would cost the equivalent of 60 cents a gallon to charge and drive an electric car. The electricity to charge the car could come from solar or wind generated electricity. If all gasoline cars, trucks, and suv’s instead had plug-in electric drive trains, the amount of electricity needed to replace gasoline is about equal to the estimated wind energy potential of the state of North Dakota. Why don't we use some of the billions in bail out money to bail us out of our dependence on foreign oil? This past year the high cost of fuel so seriously damaged our economy and society that the ripple effects will be felt for years to come. Why not invest in setting up some alternative energy projects on a national basis, create clean cheap electricity, create millions of badly needed new green collar jobs, and get out from under our dependence on foreign oil. What a win -win situation that would be. There is a great new book out called The Manhattan Project of 2009 Energy Independence NOW by Jeff Wilson. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in alternative energy. www.themanhattanprojectof2009.com